1996-07-26 - Re: Twenty Bank Robbers – CLARIFICATION

Header Data

From: Erle Greer <vagab0nd@sd.cybernex.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 09f709a299097965a3aa0d8d0bb045bd6485b994bdfd2804b9c85066806c8ee1
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960725231249.006b4c10@mail.sd.cybernex.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 10:01:45 +0800

Raw message

From: Erle Greer <vagab0nd@sd.cybernex.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 10:01:45 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Twenty Bank Robbers -- CLARIFICATION

At 01:13 PM 7/25/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Igor Chudov wrote:
>>
>> Here's a puzzle for our game theorists.
>>
>> Twenty cypherpunks robbed a bank. They took 20 million bucks. Here's
>> how they plan to split the money: they stay in line, and the first guy
>> suggests how to split the money. Then they vote on his suggestion. If
>> 50% or more vote for his proposal, his suggestion is adopted.
>>
>> Otherwise they kill the  first robber and now it is the turn of guy #2
>> to make another splitting proposal. Same voting rules apply.
>>
>> The question is, what will be the outcome? How will they split the
>> money, how many robbers will be dead, and so on?
>>

>I forgot to say what the GOALS are. The goals of every individual
>cypherpunk are (in from highest to lowest priority):
>
>1. Stay alive
>2. Get as much money as possible
>3. Keep as many cypherpunks alive as possible, all other things being equal.
>
>	- Igor.

OK, robber #1 secretly discusses with each other robber that if he votes for
#1, that they will split it.  All robbers thinking this, vote for #1.  #1
then leaves town with 20 million.
vagab0nd@sd.cybernex.net
http://ww2.sd.cybernex.net/~vagab0nd/index.html
Visit web page for public key.