1996-07-03 - Re: Message pools are in use today!

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: daw@cs.berkeley.edu (David Wagner)
Message Hash: 0cfe8459ab267e79cebf9145211eadc1deb3a1cdabe896b9e2fcbe8095972ec7
Message ID: <199607022051.QAA10112@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 09:43:27 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 09:43:27 +0800
To: daw@cs.berkeley.edu (David Wagner)
Subject: Re: Message pools _are_ in use today!

On  1 Jul 96 at 20:28, David Wagner wrote:
[..]
> Ian and I talked about this at some length.  alt.anonymous.messages
> has certain unfortunate shortcomings.

> Someone sniffing the Berkeley 'net can tell when I receive an
> alt.anonymous.messages message by when I download an article from
> the NNTP server; they can tell when I send such an article by when
> I upload an article to the NNTP server; they can list all the
> ``subversive'' Berkeley folks who have read alt.anonymous.messages
> lately.

Uploading can be gotten around by using anonymous remailers and
mail-to-news gateways... although someone can tell if you send mail
to anonymous mailers.

Rob

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread