1996-07-25 - One of the biggest problems with freedom

Header Data

From: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0d044dc79b7d6a0390ab5f794a8bb7d3a491fb354918bb4bbb3e7ce4d0ab3b2d
Message ID: <199607251523.IAA06095@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 03:07:01 +0800

Raw message

From: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 03:07:01 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: One of the biggest problems with freedom

What our biggest problem is, is that people want the
government to protect them from the oh so evil terrorists,
and they will willingingly have shackles put on them,
and rejoice when it is done.

I know people who WANT the government to take away their
rights for security, and its a lot of people, and its
far too many people.

Example:  "I don't care if the government has my keys
for encryption.  I don't do anything wrong, and if it
helps FBI enforce our just laws, I am all for it.  Since
anyone who tries to get keys without legal means will end
up in Leavenworth for the rest of their life, there is
no problems with people getting access to those things."

When I try to refute the logic:

"I don't care about the bill of rights... I don't want to
have to split my family up on separate flights so there is
a chance of some of them arriving without dying.  I want
the security of knowing I can fly okay without being
blown up, thank you very much.  Signapore has little or
no crime since the people give up their rights for a common
good."

Problem with freedom is people don't use it... and like
a limb, will wither and fall off if not used.

Our basic item should be trying to get the masses to figure
out that freedom is important and should not be construed
as a gift from the government.

Thread