1996-07-21 - Re: MIT harassed over publication of PGP book

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 16ee4835372a08b8c5570f5b31d09f03bd8fae9c773e5a16be17693d34a480e4
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960720220935.0086d2c0@panix.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 08:46:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 08:46:08 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: MIT harassed over publication of PGP book

At 02:06 AM 7/10/96 EDT, Hal Abelson wrote:

>Now, we learn of a back channel communication from State to DOE to
>Sandia, which has prompted Sandia to want to act as a policeman for
>MIT vis a vis export controls.
>
>This is troubling for what it says about how the State Department is
>dealing with export issues surrounding information about cryptography,
>and about the extent to which policies are being administered in a
>clear and above-board manner.

A blue ribbon panel of Ivy League administrators warned in the mid 1950s
that Universities which accepted public funds would lose their independence
and become mere functionaries of the federal government.  They were right
and you all had fair warning.

DCF

Thread