1996-07-16 - Netscape download requirements

Header Data

From: “Julian Burke” <julianb@mail.tiac.net>
To: jsw@netscape.com
Message Hash: 18ca2a25375881e0c6692ded6ac1f173a5eb090329323f7888ab0cdf4be6f94a
Message ID: <199607160905.FAA26831@mailserver1.tiac.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 23:07:30 +0800

Raw message

From: "Julian Burke" <julianb@mail.tiac.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 23:07:30 +0800
To: jsw@netscape.com
Subject: Netscape download requirements

Jeff Weinstein wrote:

>  We received written permission from the State Department for our
>download verification mechanism.

What exactly is the reason for Netscape asking for the name, address,
e-mail address, and telephone number of anyone who wishes to download
the US-browser? If I remember correctly MIT in distributing PGP only
asks that you affirmatively assent to obeying export laws (and the
terms of the rsa license).

I have not heard at any point that the MIT system does not meet the
legal requirements of ITAR. Is there perhaps some other reason
Netscape wishes to have this information?

--Julian Burke

Thread