1996-07-05 - Moviepunks

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1b4a00c6152756bd4d50c0c06720862a3e2251fd8dbb7e10fb8caf1b3e0d8f11
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960705005530.00849e80@panix.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 11:34:52 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 11:34:52 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Moviepunks

Not much crypto or any networking in "Independence Day."  It does have a
code name, however, "ID4."  Disabled the mothership with computer viruses
(highly unlikely.)  Used a Mac Powerbook but no Apple logos showed.  Film
has mass appeal, however and some good bits.  Good for teaching people that
if 15-mile-wide spacecraft position themselves above your town--leave.

The Net did get me into the film however without waits.  Fired up
www.777film.com at 1600 hrs, ordered tickets for the 1700 hrs showing, get
to the theater, walked past lines into the lobby to use ATM, stuck in card,
got tickets, went into theater.  Dodged mob scene.

Saw a preview of "Ransom" starring Mel Gibson in a remake of the 1956 Glenn
Ford film of the same name.  First ransom "note" appears to be a multimedia
file (delivered by the Net?).

DCF

"Somehow, I doubt William Jefferson Blythe Clinton would fly an F-15 against
a monster alien craft."

Thread