1996-07-06 - Re: I confess [Was: Who was that Masked Cypherpunk?]

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1d8d14f0bb25cc284b96478972a82b1d452e1f46bea10aa114974b12c646a8c9
Message ID: <ae02cb41000210047cce@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 08:18:07 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 08:18:07 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: I confess [Was: Who was that Masked Cypherpunk?]

At 6:25 PM 7/5/96, Duncan Frissell wrote:

>Since no one has mentioned exactly what happened at the LP Convention, I
>will relate it from memory and JR can correct me.
>
>They were going to vote on adopting a platform plank that upheld the right
>of everybody to use any crypto they wanted and export it an everything and
>also opposing the proposal for a requirement that people use a key escrow
>system set up by the government.

I'm now watching the LP convention on C-SPAN, and taping it for a friend
(who may have a book contract to do a book related to something along these
lines).

The one LP event I ever attended was the California LP annual convention,
some years ago, and found it crushingly boring. This looks a bit more
exciting.

I suspect the LP will continue to get 3-4% of the vote, maybe a tad more
this year due to widespread dissatisfaction with Dinton and Clole and with
the obvious charisma of Harry Browne.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!