1996-07-31 - RE: Let’s Say “No!” to Single, World Versions of Software

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 262580d98b55cb0da8b35cdad0db5f28090db46d5fa386e5c170ed29887e932d
Message ID: <199607302110.OAA05638@netcom8.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 08:34:39 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 08:34:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Let's Say "No!" to Single, World Versions of Software

Someone asked a few days ago what US companies are doing to oppose ITAR.
many of them are taking public positions on the ProCODE bill. Another of
the things they are doing is deploying strong crypto domestically.  (Arun
Mehta and Tim May have detailed the mechanisms why this domestic deployment
will have world-wide impact.)

Here is a start at a list of such companies:

Community ConneXion - Too much to mention, Thanks Sameer
IBM - The Anarchistic Key Authorization system (from U of Texas),
   see 6th Usenix Security Symposium proceedings
Netscape - SSL
PGP Inc - 'nuff said
Sun Microsystems - SKIP implementation, PGP v3 implementation

Please add to the list.  We should recognize and remember our friends.

Bill Frantz       | Cave ab homine unius lebri | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     |  [Beware the man of one    | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com |   book]  - Anonymous Latin | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread