1996-07-17 - Re: DCSB: Betting on the Future

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2a42ce9c4253300a0975bc7925a5a860e55acb1b0757a9bb703678d0bdd1c918
Message ID: <v03007623ae11405cb3d1@[199.0.65.105]>
Reply To: <v01540b01ae10aef56be8@[156.80.2.176]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-17 18:11:33 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 02:11:33 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 02:11:33 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: DCSB: Betting on the Future

At 10:30 PM -0400 7/15/96, Charley Sparks wrote:
> If I can't wear a V2 PGP T shirt It ain't good enuf to attend...

Thank you for your input.

>cheap
>lunch too

In light of the following .sig, I hope I'm forgiven if I'm caught
repressing a giggle or two...

>                       Charles E. Sparks
>                     Booz Allen & Hamilton
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>          http://www.clark.net/pub/charley/index.htm
>            In God we trust, All Others we encrypt
>    Public Key at:  http://www.clark.net/pub/charley/cp_1.htm

Seriously, Charley,

We're just a bunch of people who work downtown (for the most part) who're
interested in things financial and internet, with a focus on financial
cryptography (for the most part).

Most of us wear suits to work, so getting past the Harvard Club dress code
for lunch isn't that a big deal. Besides, the view is nice, and $27.50 once
a month (besides the obligatory rubber chicken, it pays for the speaker's
lunch, the room, and whatever A/V the speaker needs) never killed anyone
with a *job* (like, say, *yours*?). Hell, Charley, I bet even *your* boss
wears a suit to work. Or maybe your boss's boss... :-).

To quote Tom Wolfe quoting Chuck Yeager in "The Right Stuff" (in a
discussion of flying and driving fast and drinking and screwing and
hell-raising and flying, I believe), "I wouldn't recommend it, mind you,
but it *can* be done." Wearing a suit and talking crypto, I mean.

You ought to try it. It *can* be done. If people like Perry, and Duncan,
and Futplex, and Kent Borg, and Adam Shostack, and Carl Ellison and,
someday, Unicorn (who threatens to, just about every month, even though he
probably wears a suit already, wherever he is) can, you can, too.

<Sorry if I forgot any others. The point is, there are lots of cypherpunk
DCSB members. Of the hundred or so on the e-mail list, I bet 30 or so are
also subscribed to cypherpunks.>

Consider it an opportunity to see if the ol' interview suit fits. If it
doesn't, Charley, don't forget to save up for that next one. After all,
after working at a place like Booz Allen, it's all downhill, right?  The
next job you get recruited for may not come with that nifty clothing
allowance.

;-)

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga
Moderator,
The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"'Bart Bucks' are not legal tender."
                -- Punishment, 100 times on a chalkboard,
                       for Bart Simpson
The e$ Home Page: http://www.vmeng.com/rah/

Thread