1996-07-23 - Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

Header Data

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
To: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
Message Hash: 2a68f7195659b76219725c049e115d5422cd6e741d7955329613a2c0e7d41645
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960722174811.25749D-100000@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Reply To: <199607221822.OAA12499@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-23 05:51:23 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:51:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:51:23 +0800
To: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Subject: Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> (BTW, Jefferson's slaves were inherited and an an entailment clause in
> the will prevented him from freeing them during his lifetime. Not, of

It would be hard to prove the case that this was the only thing
preventing earlier manumission, but then the whole issue is one of the
hardest things to understand about Jefferson; many of his closest friends
were leaders in the abolitionist movement of the time, and it's almost
impossible to believe that he didn't know slavery to be morally
indefensible relatively early on in his political development. Guess it
was just part of his programming he couldn't throw off.

Still leaves him just ahead of FDR as best american president, but does
drop him a way behind Paine for best  political theorist of the revolution

 ---
Cause maybe  (maybe)		      | In my mind I'm going to Carolina
you're gonna be the one that saves me | - back in Chapel Hill May 16th.
And after all			      | Email address remains unchanged
You're my firewall -    	      | ........First in Usenet.........

Thread