1996-07-22 - Re: Netscape

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: Tom Weinstein <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2b4d07eeca256ad57ffd656763485030bba52fb1aec8f0e736b10d0afa07ba13
Message ID: <199607220009.RAA08680@dns2.noc.best.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 10:29:48 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 10:29:48 +0800
To: Tom Weinstein <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Netscape

At 03:27 PM 7/20/96 -0700, Tom Weinstein wrote:
> Why not consider what the consequences will be?  Do you seriously
> believe that this will make the government stop enforcing ITAR?

Yes:

Widespread politically motivated disobedience forces
the state to either demonize the disobedient, (as with drug users)
or give up enforcement.  This is a standard and effective method
of forcing the repeal of laws, a method which has had a long record
of success for several hundred years.

The states cohesion derives from its legitimacy, and threats to
legitimacy and cohesion are treated very seriously by government
officials.

Threatening the states legitimacy is arguably more effective in
influencing government behavior than blowing up federal office
buildings.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com