1996-07-19 - Re: Filtering out Queers is OK

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 305a2eb898e601511d182aa291103ddbc7558ec1c801495aaf91d6eb876dbea2
Message ID: <ae150e930a0210046d94@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 07:33:12 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 07:33:12 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Filtering out Queers is OK

At 8:48 AM 7/19/96, Simon Spero wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:
>> Filtering is not "wrong," Cerridwyn, it is a rational response to garbage
>> being spewed constantly. I filter lots of items. I read "Scientific
>> American" and "The Economist" because they filter (or "censor," in the
>> sense some are objecting to here) nonsense about "queer rights" and
>
>Actually, the Economist has, er,  come out strongly in favour of gay
>rights on numerous occasions- most recently on the issue of same sex
>marriages.

Sure, and I didn't exactly state what my position _is_ on so-called queer
rights. I said I have no interest in hearing nonsense about it, e.g., the
drumbeat of propaganda, etc.

Of course, it should come as no surprise that I believe everyone has the
legal right to refuse to associate with anyone. Thus, a shop owner or
employer, in my view, has every right to refuse service or employment to
whomever he wishes.

While many may not _like_ this (including me, when I am banned from certain
businesses, as I am), it is part and parcel of liberty.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!