1996-07-20 - Re: The risks of information warfare

Header Data

From: “Bruce M.” <bkmarsh@feist.com>
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 32fa2b9348ce72a8b62097c92ad8fec3f68e2569f93ddfe6c266b53e9c08df2c
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.91.960719145513.8078A-100000@wichita.fn.net>
Reply To: <AE152A80-FD945B@193.239.225.200>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-20 13:09:05 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 21:09:05 +0800

Raw message

From: "Bruce M." <bkmarsh@feist.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 21:09:05 +0800
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: The risks of information warfare

On 19 Jul 1996, Clay Olbon II wrote:

> 	2.  Second hand smoke kills.  Probably, but the only statistical link was
> found by picking and choosing which studies to use.  And the freedoms of
> millions of Americans are dramatically restricted based on this premise.

   That and the fact that it can be physically sickening to the people
who have to be around such individuals.

> 	3.  Terrorism is a big threat to the "national security".  Of course more
> people are killed in the bathtub than by terrorists, but that is beside the
> point.

    The government can't do much about accidental bathtub deaths though.
Terrorism can be dealt with on a much more tangible level.

> My reason for bringing these up is that I think much of the "information
> warfare" 5th horseman is overblown hype - in the same category as 1-3
> above.  Of course, many security professionals will disagree, because it is
> in their best interests to do so - their level of funding depends on it.

    I look at it this way.  Information warfare has the *potential* of
being as potentially destructive as conventional warfare due to the very
nature of our country's infrastructure.  However, when we look at other
means of war that were supposed to be the "ultimate" force, like nuclear
weapons, we've historically seen that they work better as pawns in the
power struggle rather than as actual playing pieces.

    The main difference between nukes and infowar is that an attack by
the latter means is more feasible for just about anyone as opposed to an
actual country or powerful organization having nukes.

> Sure, there have been break-ins and some loss of $$ (of course that is what
> insurance companies are for).  I have seen nothing, to date, that would
> justify massive increases in government power over the private sector;

    Neither have I.  It would seem that the government has worked more
towards actively discouraging any good infosec policies than helping
out.  Let them take care of foreign nations amassing large groups of
Internet connected work stations in their military bases and I think we
can handle the infrequent malicious individual.

                      [ Bruce M. - Feist Systems, Inc. ]
     "Official estimates show that more than 120 countries have or are
      developing [information warfare] capabilities." -GAO/AIMD-96-84
                         So, what is your excuse now?

Thread