1996-07-20 - Re: [Noise] was Re: Giving 6 year old kids Uzi’s

Header Data

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
To: Brad Dolan <hua@xenon.chromatic.com>
Message Hash: 33d5329f56ffe2c7d32de587adea02ded21d7893d7788c1aee870c3655f2128f
Message ID: <v0300760dae16b3606e8b@[192.187.162.15]>
Reply To: <199607192139.OAA23712@server1.chromatic.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-20 18:21:09 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 02:21:09 +0800

Raw message

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 02:21:09 +0800
To: Brad Dolan <hua@xenon.chromatic.com>
Subject: Re: [Noise] was Re: Giving 6 year old kids Uzi's

At 5:31 AM -0700 7/20/96, Brad Dolan wrote:

>My twelve-year-old daughter asked for and received a .22 for her birthday.
>Her four and six year old siblings enjoy shooting it, under close
>supervision.
>
>Rural America has a very different culture than urban America and urban
>America's recent attempts to impose its values (like hoplophobia) on us
>really chafes.

Though it is well known that I am in favor of gun control regulations, I
have to support Brad Dolan here. There is a huge and traditional gun
culture in rural American, particularly in the midwest. The way most Jewish
kids get Bar Mitzvahed at 13 as a rite of passage into adulthood, or the
way most kids get their learner's permit to drive as such a symbol is the
way many midwestern kids get their first gun.

David

Thread