1996-07-13 - Re: Destabilizing China’s Government with Strong Crypto

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 36376cb644d99394635e829c33ce8bbbeea447b34ee756e170fb102b1ddda77f
Message ID: <199607121626.MAA29430@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 08:35:25 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 08:35:25 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Destabilizing China's Government with Strong Crypto

On 12 Jul 96 at 0:04, Timothy C. May wrote:
[..]
> And this is yet another example of the negative effects of the U.S.
> restrictions on crypto export: where widespread crypto tools might be used
> to destabilize repressive governments, the lack of these tools integrated
> into common applications makes it harder for freedom-fighters in China,
> Burma, Iran, France, etc., to use them.

The US has a sad history of supporting its own 'friendly dictators'
though.  Makes it hard to support flow of decentralizing tech to
destabalize countries like Iraq but keep countries like El Salvador
in the fold.

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread