1996-07-30 - Re: “Soft Targets” as Schelling Points

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3b206063b595eab9b2c4c93a4dcef2ffb7e00853d59174f6ae9a8938c9259159
Message ID: <ae22ab9f010210048ed4@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:47:22 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:47:22 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "Soft Targets" as Schelling Points

At 8:05 PM 7/29/96, eli+@gs160.sp.cs.cmu.edu wrote:
>Tim May writes:
>>The connection should be clear, but in case it is not: many soft targets
>>are Schelling points for terrorist actions.
>
>I see no coordination problem here.  Schelling points are a useful
>concept when you have several actors, each of whom benefits from
>making the same choice as the others.  Here, I think you want to say
>"soft targets are easy to attack".

There are _many_ "soft targets," of course. Millions, in fact. But some are
"more likely" than others to be hit, a la Schelling points.

Schelling points need not involve "coordination" between actors, though
Schelling points provide one means of coordination without communication
(e.g., where does each think a meeting will occur).

Schelling points are like "The Match Game" (an old t.v. show largely
written by one of the main contributors to "Mad Magazine").  Namely, "Name
a place likely to be attacked by terrorists."

Coordination is not the issue. Rather, the Olympics was (obviously) a
likely target, for a variety of reasons.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!