1996-07-10 - Re: [RANT] Giving Mind Control Drugs to Children

Header Data

From: mike@fionn.lbl.gov (Michael Helm)
To: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Message Hash: 4a96fca3f3d3871796bfebeafda5529b7bb934907bd79ffe77ffa66084838680
Message ID: <199607100140.SAA15188@fionn.lbl.gov>
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:27:34 +0800

Raw message

From: mike@fionn.lbl.gov (Michael Helm)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:27:34 +0800
To: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Subject: Re: [RANT] Giving Mind Control Drugs to Children

On Jul 9, 12:02pm, Mike Duvos wrote:
> If we have safe and effective medications which increase
> alertness in the school and in the workplace, why shouldn't
> everyone be able to take them in small doses as the need arises?

So?  I hate to be flip, but is there a coffee shortage in your area?

Stimulants don't have the same effect on everybody.  "Normal" people
who take stimulants tend to act a lot like untreated hyperactives:
jittery, unfocussed, irritable.  Your point about long term use
is well taken, many people find the positive effects wear down after
a while.  Sometimes this is alrite, because in the meantime they
have been able to learn coping strategies they were unable to learn
before.  Sometimes it is not alrite, because their problems are too
severe, & they need other treatment.

Thread