1996-07-29 - Re: Feinstein wants controls on Internet, Books

Header Data

From: declan@well.com (Declan McCullagh)
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 4b38fb1f0656e675de5f98cc9ccd93f712d972c2a17be1a909c908f58bf1ba1c
Message ID: <v0151010aae22d08b4c0e@[204.62.128.229]>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 06:53:18 +0800

Raw message

From: declan@well.com (Declan McCullagh)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 06:53:18 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Feinstein wants controls on Internet, Books

Feinstein today introduced an amendment revisiting her 1995 net-censorship
amendment tacked onto the anti-terrorism bill. Seeks to ban bomb-making
info from the Net and is being marketed in those words, but is not
Net-specific.

-Declan

>One of my senators, Senator Dianne Feinstein, is now arguing on CNN for
>controls on information put on the Internet, on censorship of books and
>articles describing how pipe bombs work, and for making it easier to get
>wiretaps against those suspected of committing thought crimes.
>
>One or two more major incidents on top of the recent ones (World Trade
>Center, Oklahoma City, Dharan, TWA 800, and Olympic Village) and I suspect
>Congress will simply vote to repeal the Bill of Rights and just be done
>with this whole experiment in liberty.
>
>--Tim May
>
>Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!
>We got computers, we're tapping phone lines, we know that that ain't allowed.
>Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
>tcmay@got.net  408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
>W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
>Licensed Ontologist         | black markets, collapse of governments.
>"National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."

Thread