1996-07-20 - Re: Metered Phone

Header Data

From: The Deviant <deviant@pooh-corner.com>
To: Remo Pini <rp@rpini.com>
Message Hash: 528e4706fe4a6fd47e37ba2924d2a2cee1845e82fd5ac0097d68d5d5b80b48f5
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.94.960719055902.2531B-100000@switch.sp.org>
Reply To: <1.5.4.32.19960717115720.008caa88@193.246.3.200>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-20 23:39:45 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 07:39:45 +0800

Raw message

From: The Deviant <deviant@pooh-corner.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 07:39:45 +0800
To: Remo Pini <rp@rpini.com>
Subject: Re: Metered Phone

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Remo Pini wrote:

> Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 13:57:20 +0200
> From: Remo Pini <rp@rpini.com>
> To: cypherpunks@toad.com
> Subject: Re: Metered Phone
>
> At 12:45 AM 7/15/96 -0700, you wrote:
> >At 01:19 PM 7/7/96 +0800, you wrote:
> >>Does anyone have any ideas about this metered phone?
> >>I am from Philippines and heard some news that it will be
> >>existing in 1997. Quite a big problem! Every dial will be counted,
> >>every seconds will be measured...
> >
> >That sounds like you're getting newer telephone technology.
> >In the US, most areas with newer telephone switches offer you
> >the choice of flat rate service (you pay a constant price per month
> >Bill Stewart
>
> Well, in Switzerland all telephon-switches (including the ones the company I
> work with manufactures) record:
> 1. start of call
> 2. destination of call
> 3. source of call
> 4. end of call

Well, I know the higher-end NorTel and Lucent switches (ah la the DMS100,
200, 250, the 5ESS and the 1AESS) there are, basicly, 5 catagories...

911, toll free (800,888,local non-metered), extra charge (900/976), and
metered.

pretty much non-metered is the only one that doesn't do the dest/src
recording (unless you've got a DNR put on your line, which usually means
the USSS/FBI are breathing down your neck.  Had it happen once. definatly
not fun.)

Of course, those switches are all programmable, so you can add more.

> After all, you can get a detailed list of all your calls by the end of the
> month (the phonenumbers of the destination are somewhat obscured -> only the
> first 4 digits).

Only on metered calls (includeing 800/900 type) at most places.

> As soon as you get digital switches (POTS or ISDN) your phonelife is
> measured, stored and statistically evaluated.

But most of the time (ok, most numbers, not most types of numbers) it
keeps track of percentage of calls from this type of line, to this type of
line, not exact info on which lines.

 --Deviant

Thread