1996-07-20 - Re: Filtering out Queers is OK

Header Data

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5b621147bc6b18688a1e400c17bb5ec2dbe6097fc21ca9e97ea2a7f446870e49
Message ID: <v03007603ae1582394f16@[192.187.162.15]>
Reply To: <ae143914000210044473@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-20 12:00:34 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 20:00:34 +0800

Raw message

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 20:00:34 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Filtering out Queers is OK

At 7:07 PM -0700 7/18/96, Timothy C. May wrote:

>Filtering is not "wrong," Cerridwyn, it is a rational response to garbage
>being spewed constantly. I filter lots of items. I read "Scientific
>American" and "The Economist" because they filter (or "censor," in the
>sense some are objecting to here) nonsense about "queer rights" and
>"peircing fashions," to name but a few things I have no interest in hearing
>about.

<omitted>

>I think of AIDS as "evolution in action." Retroviruses which  have existed
>for millenia now find new vectors for spreading in our population. I cry no
>tears for those dying of AIDS, and work to reduce to tax dollars spent on
>such things as "AIDS research." Let those who introduced the new vector pay
>for the research.

Pretty good summary of one position. I'd add that in addition, some groups
you mention blackmail society by being loud and in your face, and prey on
others' fear of being thought politically incorrect, to gain amounts of
public treasure and air time vastly disproportionate to their needs or
their problem in the heirarchy of needs and problems facing society.

Putting it a bit more directly, gays are a small percentage of society but
many are constantly demanding air time, infiltrating the media to create
exposure vastly disproportionate to their numbers, and demanding public
funds per capita way in excess of what the poor, the heart-disease or
cancer-ridden, or the heterosexuals get for _their_ needs. In their latest
attempt at public blackmail they're trying to get the nation to agree that
we should provide incentives for homosexual marriages (the marriage
benefits of Federal law are incentives to behavior society wants to
encourage, not an inherent "right" of marriage).

David

Thread