1996-07-30 - VISA Travel Money

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 62d3904fcdaa99515789cff241b9eb10ddf43680fccfcf3ce235b0b9e46f224a
Message ID: <199607301755.KAA10273@netcom23.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 06:56:01 +0800

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 06:56:01 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: VISA Travel Money

Happened to browse the VISA Web site last evening to read about
the new microprocessor-based VISA Cash Cards that are being
accepted in lieu of small change at the Olympics in Atlanta.

While there, I noticed a new product that VISA is about to
introduce.  Called "VISA Travel Money", it is a pre-paid card
with a user-selected PIN which one can simply purchase at a
participating financial institution, just like Travelers Checks.
One can then use it at any of the 250,000 ATMs in 89 countries
until the amount one paid for it has been extracted, after which,
one presumedly tosses it.

Since the card is pre-paid, and does not involve the extension of
credit, I would think that a "nym" would have no difficulty in
purchasing one.  Seems like a convenient way to keep moderate
amounts of cash in a form which cannot be easily stolen, nor
perused by the Feds.

I wonder if an SSN is required at the time of purchase?

In any case, http://www.visa.com/ and a few clicks will get you
all the available information.

VISA Travel Money: No Horseman should leave home without it! :)

Thread