1996-07-01 - Re: Cookies anyone?

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 67b9cc8d0f8b4b571b83852c012f7f32a3bd7634aa79e33889b7f970bf0c3f13
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960630205357.00af51c8@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 15:46:19 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 15:46:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cookies anyone?

At 04:34 PM 6/29/96 -0700, vanished@alpha.c2.org wondered what happens if he
tosses his cookies:
>While rummaging around in my cookie jar, I found this message--along with
some >cookies.

>:Netscape HTTP Cookie File
>:# http://www.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html
>:# This is a generated file!  Do not edit.
>
>Rather than bring down my system by experimenting, I thought I'd ask the
list, >"What happens if I delete this file?" and "What happens if I delete
(edit) the >cookies?"

If you edit the file, Netscape may no longer be able to read the file
correctly.  (Bookmarks are similar in this respect.  Netscape code is pretty
picky about things like line termination and the like.)

If you toss your cookies, Netscape will probibly bring you more cookies, but
they will be different cookies than the last batch.

Beware of burned cookies, fortune cookies (espicially ones with "Good Times"
written on them), raisin cookies (especially if the raisins move), Brownies
under the age of consent, and the cookies from dusty vending machines
(Especially the hairy green ones).

>This may have been discussed before, but until now I never checked for cookies.

You might also read the cookie recipie at
http://www.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html .  I hear it was
written by a disgruntled Mrs. Fields employee.

>Thanks for your consideration of this matter.

You are welcome.  Have a nice day.

---
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."

Thread