1996-07-26 - Re: Ross Anderson’s Eternity Service

Header Data

From: “P. J. Ponder” <ponder@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 69f50990171eb049dace71e2ee4c64823839b140e5bc441bea0470d24099fbca
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960725175559.24658A-100000@fn2.freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 11:01:34 +0800

Raw message

From: "P. J. Ponder" <ponder@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 11:01:34 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Ross Anderson's Eternity Service

I think the Eternity Service, as I understand the idea (altho I haven't
read the paper yet), is valuable to society.  In some countries, the
government may try to suppress views and information unpopular to them
and the ES could help make the information available.  Sort of like Radio
Free Internet.  This one use - helping people who may be living under
repressive governments get access to more information - would make the
service valuable.

There is certainly a large risk to intellectual property holders, if people
used such a service to distribute copies of software, music, videos, or
whatever, to avoid paying royalties and etc.
--
pj

re the DES hack, has anyone asked Damien when the researchers go on
vacation? ;^)

Thread