1996-07-24 - Exporting cryptosystems in pieces: Re: Question [NOISE, mostly]

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6adbcc9814db9335c64e6aa88d74f999a2ad865313028c85b9827be4ed4657e7
Message ID: <199607240942.CAA19145@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 20:30:32 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 20:30:32 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Exporting cryptosystems in pieces: Re: Question [NOISE, mostly]

Cc: vice.president@whitehouse.gov,

The cypherpunks list has been discussing ITAR again. :-)
>>  If it is illegal (by our governments standards...) to export programs
>>like PGP, etc., and you can send the whole source code in a message
>>because that is also considered illegal, then could you send the code,
>>broken up into many pieces, and send THAT in Email, would that be
>>illegal?

Exporting components of military hardware, including cryptosystems,
is also specifically banned by ITAR.  How big a piece is enough to get
you prosecuted is a question for the nastiest of the N prosecutors out there,
and whether you can be convicted is a question for the best of
the 12 jurors you'll have....

Vince Cate's arms exporter page lets you export a highly-useful
fully working cryptosystem in three lines with one mouse click
(developed by Adam Back and an international cast of dozens.)

Adam Back's export-three-lines-of-PGP-at-once is a more blatant
test of this; go see his web pages.

Here's my two bits worth - the following bits are components of
PGP, Netscape 3.0b5, and also of RSAREF.
        0
        1

#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com