1996-07-24 - Re: Netscape

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6d5606b15c72ca03181aea909e65a97590f51e0f7b0b20faebd64b4155af43f2
Message ID: <199607241431.QAA05718@basement.replay.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 01:51:35 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 01:51:35 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Netscape

Jeff Weinstein wrote:
>   I'm also curious why these anonymous crusaders did not act
> sooner?  The US version has been available for sale in retail
> outlets for about a year now.  Was it not worth $50 to make
> your point?

If you look real carefully at ftp://utopia.hacktic.nl/pub/replay
/pub/incoming you'll notice that the "commercial" 2.01 for Win32
has actually been uploaded.

The reason that is was not done sooner is probably that it felt
more like stealing to upload software that Netscape expected you
to pay for. Now that Netscape is finally giving away strong crypto
versions to anybody who asks for it (and claims to be an American)
it isn't really stealing in the same sense anymore. It's just ITAR
we're ignoring, not Netscape's commercial interests.

Thread