1996-07-24 - Re: Bare fibers

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Rabid Wombat <harka@nycmetro.com
Message Hash: 7cd30d04cb0c3ff2af1ed1a05d7c385a3e599e34a3401c2a86eb36bb46d69fe6
Message ID: <199607231622.JAA04074@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 20:51:25 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 20:51:25 +0800
To: Rabid Wombat <harka@nycmetro.com
Subject: Re: Bare fibers

At 03:20 AM 7/23/96 -0400, Rabid Wombat wrote:

>> Doesn't that make it vulnerable (detectable) to Tempest attacks?

>No.
>Transmitting light via fiber doesn't emit EM.
>Anyway, the original post, as I recall, was about keeping sensitive data
>on a second hard drive, connected via (very thin, therefore harder to
>notice) fiber. Tempest monitoring was not a factor.

It occurs to me that a bare fiber could actually be (randomly) hung across
treetops, roofs, power lines, and various other structures, over a
many-block distance in suburban areas.    Such a fiber wouldn't be protected
very well, but it would probably last a few months.  It would also be
exceedingly hard to find its terminations, and tracing it would be a real
pain.  (It probably wouldn't be visible against a bright sky more than a
meter or two away.)

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread