1996-07-28 - TLAs on cypherpnks (was Re: ALL OF YOU ARE CRIMINAL HACKERS)

Header Data

From: “Declan B. McCullagh” <declan+@CMU.EDU>
To: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
Message Hash: 8146d2f2f9c69cabb7e5d95e0d97c77f578f2d1f355e7e14e89e43f7ce2a3fc3
Message ID: <Qlyw0Pi00YUw082qk0@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <v02140703ae2126c4bae3@[204.167.110.200]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-28 21:33:48 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 05:33:48 +0800

Raw message

From: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 05:33:48 +0800
To: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
Subject: TLAs on cypherpnks (was Re: ALL OF YOU ARE CRIMINAL HACKERS)

Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 28-Jul-96 Re: ALL OF YOU ARE
CRIMINAL.. by anonymous-remailer@shell
> Tips for reporting this 'clandestine' list to the FBI (and it's contributors)
>
> 1) Be sure to speak slowly and use small words when contacting the FBI.
> 2) If you can, be sure to work the words 'Pipe Bomb', 'Olympics', and/or
> 'TWA' into your sentences.
> 3) Remember to unsubscribe from the list before reporting it.

At a recent conference in downtown DC, I was chatting with a few folks
in the hotel bar. One of 'em was reminiscing about his days at the CIA
and I reminded him that during my presentation earlier that day I talked
about crypto-anarchy (giving appropriate credit to Tim May, of course).

I asked him if he had ever monitored the cypherpunks list. "No, I
didn't. It was too high-traffic," he said. "But the guy in the next
office over from me did."

Is this the first confirmed report of TLA cypherpunk-monitoring?

-Declan

Thread