1996-07-15 - Re: Word lists for passphrases

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Message Hash: 82be28f73ce97cd5b8d8f27d1be79ae700b1a05e5a841c2eeb5c9cdc2b8c1a14
Message ID: <199607150749.AAA07579@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 19:08:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 19:08:07 +0800
To: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: Word lists for passphrases

At 09:43 PM 7/8/96 -0700, you wrote:
>If the purpose is for use with "Crack" or some similar program, it might be
>better than you would think.  You won't get the "unusual" words, but you
>will also get the words in common usage that do not appear in dictionaries.
>(Such as fnord, jedi, killfile, and the like...)

"fnord" is in _my_ dictionary - can't you find it in yours?  :-)

>Another thing to look for when choosing dictionaries/wordlists for crack is
>not sticking to english.  If you have a userbase that is known to have a
>certain percentage of people of a non-english background, you will want to
>find lists of words from that background.  (I had a sysadmin asking me about
>Yiddish and Hebrew wordlists for just that reason.)  These can be a bit
>harder.  (Especially for unusual languages.)

Grady Ward has his Moby Words databases with some of this kind of information.
In addition to the usual sets of languages, it's useful to include any
available lexicons of Elvish, Klingon, Unix, and other popular hacker-languages,
plus any names you can scam off MUDs, etc.

#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# http://www.idiom.com/~wcs
#				Re-delegate Authority!