1996-07-16 - WON_der

Header Data

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 85e2060efef9c9472e226307d34e7158bc5211c607585de3cc00eae2542af0d9
Message ID: <199607160108.BAA16729@pipe3.t1.usa.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 01:27:54 +0800

Raw message

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 01:27:54 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: WON_der

   6-15-96. NYP, Book review:

      AFTER THOUGHT
      The Computer Challenge to Human Intelligence
      By James Bailey
      Illustrated. 277 pages Basic Books/HarperCollins. $25.
      ISBN 0-465-00781-3

   Mr. Bailey, a former senior manager at the Thinking
   Machines Corporation, foresees an "electronic computing
   revolution" whose "intellectual impact will be greater than
   anything since the Renaissance, possibly greater than
   anything since the invention of language." In his view, the
   greatest challenge posed by the computer revolution will be
   for humans to trust processes of thinking they won't
   necessarily understand, such as neural networks spotting
   patterns without supplying proof "in any human-absorbable
   form."

   His main point is that we must become aware of the outmoded
   abstractions on which our sequential thinking is based and
   to jettison them in favor of parallel processes. He cites
   Alfred North Whitehead: "A civilization which cannot burst
   through its current abstractions is doomed to sterility
   after a very limited burst of progress." The wonder of Mr.
   Bailey's book is that he makes us aware of things abstract
   that all our lives we have been trained to think of as
   concrete.

   -----

   http://pwp.usa.pipeline.com/~jya/wonder.txt  (7 kb)

   WON_der