1996-07-26 - Re: AP on Crypto Hearing

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8a8941815d8ae2e64fd510f29c96fd0cc48e661e87d9e5a5e97210c4f73c8b63
Message ID: <199607261857.LAA26180@netcom8.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 07:47:10 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 07:47:10 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: AP on Crypto Hearing

At  4:28 PM 7/26/96 +0000, John Young wrote:
>   7-25-96. The Associated Press:
>
>   Computer Codes May Aid Crime

>   But a top official at the National Security Agency -- whose
>   job is to break secret codes -- said the encryption "genie
>   is not out of the bottle." NSA Deputy Director William
>   Crowell said encryption won't be widely used until it is
>   marketed and sold, with support to help people use it.

True, crypto won't be widely used until it is marketed and sold.  Only the
4 horsemen will have it.

Terrorists with their government supporters will have the support and
training.  So will high level drug dealers and money launderers (mostly the
same people).  Child pornographers will learn quickly.  Militias already
have the infrastructure to teach military techniques and some of them know
about comsec.  Soon all of them will.  Face it, the 5 horsemen won't have a
problem.

The 4 horsemen are a red herring.  The issue is domestic surveillance.

The bottom line of the issue is: Do we get end-to-end secure telephones
before or after the telecom industry/taxpayers have to make the investment
to provide law enforcement with access to 1% of all the calls in the
country?

Bill Frantz       | Cave ab homine unius lebri | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     |  [Beware the man of one    | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com |   book]  - Anonymous Latin | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread