1996-07-09 - Re: [RANT] Giving Mind Control Drugs to Children

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: Arun Mehta <amehta@giasdl01.vsnl.net.in>
Message Hash: 8b44690eb5cff6ba48dd05f173288942f38dac57ea7b6143a65be90844eb00a7
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.93.960708142146.352A-100000@smoke.suba.com>
Reply To: <1.5.4.32.19960708130935.002db9e0@giasdl01.vsnl.net.in>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-09 01:23:27 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 09:23:27 +0800

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 09:23:27 +0800
To: Arun Mehta <amehta@giasdl01.vsnl.net.in>
Subject: Re: [RANT] Giving Mind Control Drugs to Children

On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Arun Mehta wrote:
> Ritalin is a lifesaver for a small % of children who suffer from a condition
                               ^^^^^^^
     Key word here.            |||||||

> Ritalin... mother was furious.
>
> Some of the kids who use foul language (a very small %) have Tourette's
> disease, and also need medicine (a different one)... by and large the

     Bullshit. Most kids (these days) who use profanity are simply
undisiplined louts. Yes, I use profanity today, at 28. However, I would
NEVER have called my mother a "Fucking Asshole" under ANY circumstances,
My father would have torn my head off. In fact if my father had caught me
speaking like that to ANYONE at 8 years of age, I would have had trouble
sitting for a couple days at least.

     Of course my parents made sure not to talk like that around me.

> politically correct thing is sometimes to label a kid as sick rather than
> bad or spoiled, this is probably why drugs are over-used.  But we can't
> throw the baby out with the bathwater!

     On the other hand, if only 20% of the children that are being drugged
need it, that means that we are sacrificing 80% of these children to save
20%.

     Drugs are supposed to be for fun, not for long term behavior
modification. People need to learn to deal with life.

Petro, Christopher C.
petro@suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>
snow@crash.suba.com

Thread