1996-07-28 - Re: cypherpunks vs hackers

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8dd614eadb0a5c9e1187e33d884f3de90b690ba6101fc41ff234b4f65896ba1a
Message ID: <ae20fb3806021004ceb4@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 04:13:02 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 04:13:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: cypherpunks vs hackers

At 5:59 PM 7/28/96, pjn@nworks.com wrote:
> In> How can we differentiate cypherpunks to hackers? What are their
> In> attitudes, psychological thinking, main objective?
>
> It is interesting to note that while both groups have opposite
> objectives (Hackers want all information free, where cypherpunks want
> everbody to be able to have privacy), and yet in there own ways, they
> are both right.

I don't believe this is an accurate picture of "what hackers want." The
"information wants to be free" view is one facet of the outlook of
many--but not all--hackers.

Rather than debate semantics of the definition of "hacker," or ask others
to suggest definitions, it might be better for interested folks to read
some of the various books on the topic and then decide for themselves. Some
of them are:

- Levy, "Hackers," of course

- Haffner and Markoff, "Cyberpunk"

- Sterling's book on hackers

- any one (but not more) of the several Shimomura v. Mitnick books

etc.

--Tim

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!