1996-07-24 - Re: Another fascist

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8ed6c9f46c2e5a81ae85d0f2f448779c440b9739b4728987a8ed09cfb929467b
Message ID: <199607240421.VAA10317@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 19:19:02 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 19:19:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Another fascist

At 09:26 PM 7/22/96 -0700, David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com> wrote:
>One of the great friends of free speech on this list sent a forged cancel
>message to the listbot to try to cancel my subscription.
>The listbot, being reasonably well designed, ignored him and told me about
>it, though I have no doubt less of a dunce could bring it off.
>What a piece of slime!  What do others think of this practice?

Yeah, it's slimy.  If somebody wanted to be rude to you personally,
they could have sent you flames telling you to go away;
if they wanted to be rude to you publicly, they could have imitated
many others (:-), and if they simply wanted you to not exist they
could have installed procmail or used a killfile-capable mailer like
Pegasus or Commercial Eudora and defined you out of existence.

If the listbot sends you their name, you could always, umm,
escrow them or something.....

(In a killfile, no one can hear you flame...)

(I have tried to remove people from the list, if they've
sent it mail asking to "Unsuscrive" or whatever, but at least
for the last long while that's failed; you at least need a
half-way attempt at forgery.)

#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# http://www.idiom.com/~wcs