1996-07-24 - Re: DES-Busting Screen Savers?

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 91386e1df9b3ea96158895ee3b677238351c26b69091ec7cd378836888092d86
Message ID: <199607240927.CAA18810@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 21:04:28 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 21:04:28 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: DES-Busting Screen Savers?

Tim and others have discussed the effectiveness of random search
vs. centralized servers, problems of cheating, scaling, etc.
My take is that, if you can ignore scaling, the best approach
is probably to have a central server that doles out keyspace
and wraps around when it reaches 100%, and doesn't worry too much
about collecting results - even if there are cheaters, machine
failures, etc., and people don't finish their keyspace,
it'll be more likely to cover the whole space than randoms.
(Make it a web page, and use cut&paste to transfer to the
search programs so they don't need to be network-equipped.)

To support scaling, make it easy for people to run subset servers;
grab a chunk of keyspace from the main server and dole it out
to people who ask you for it.  If you want to get fancy,
hack a DNS server to allow people to register their machines
as NNN.descrack.org, 0<=NNN<1000, so that people can find
subsets without having to ask the main server.

>>> a brute force "screen saver" for

>-- By the time the total amount of computons expended has equalled the
>amount that would have been expended in a "no duplications" allocated
>search, the Poisson probability distribution says that 1/e = 36.8% of the
>keyspace will not have been searched; the rest of the probabilty lies in
>keyspace searched once, twice, three times, etc.

#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# http://www.idiom.com/~wcs
#				Confuse Authority!