1996-07-03 - Re: CWD – Jacking in from the “Keys to the Kingdom” Port

Header Data

From: Mike McNally <m5@vail.tivoli.com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: 9338d25921e23c7499210269c7f9ab1160d336b0bd049b92414a3edaa68f0579
Message ID: <31DA7000.6239@vail.tivoli.com>
Reply To: <v01510104adffb06725c5@[204.62.128.229]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-03 16:32:49 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 00:32:49 +0800

Raw message

From: Mike McNally <m5@vail.tivoli.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 00:32:49 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: CWD -- Jacking in from the "Keys to the Kingdom" Port

Declan McCullagh/Brock Meeks wrote (and quite well, I might add):
> Install the programs and Junior can't access porn. No fuss, no muss, no
> bother. "Parental empowerment" is the buzzword. Indeed, it was these
> programs that helped sway the three-judge panel in Philly to knock down
> the Communications Decency Act as unconstitutional.

Scenario:  Mr. & Mrs. Joseph and Mary Christian buy SmutNoMore for
their home computer, to protect their children Mathew, Mark, Luke,
John, and Zebediah.  All are happy and content.

One day, Mathew and Mark go to a the home of a school chum, Bart
Simpson, whose parents are products of the liberal 60's.  Bart has
a computer too, along with an ISDN link through a local ISP to
the Internet.  But --- horrors --- Bart's computer is not equipped
with SmutNoMore, or any other filtering software.  Bart's parents
do not believe it to be fair to filter their children's access to
information.

During that afternoon of Internet fun, Mark clicks the mouse and
follows a hyperlink link to a web site filled with nasty objectionable
anti-family morally corrosive filth.  Mark and Mathew run home in
tears to their parents and tell all about the nightmare they've
experienced.

I wonder whether the Christians would be able to successfully sue
the Simpsons on some sort of "corruption of a minor" deal?  Indeed,
couldn't it even be possible that some local prosecutor might find
the Simpsons criminally involved?

Mike M Nally * Tiv^H^H^H IBM * Austin TX    * pain is inevitable
       m5@tivoli.com * m101@io.com          *
      <URL:http://www.io.com/~m101>         * suffering is optional

Thread