1996-07-23 - Re: Special Agent Safdar

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 94f2d584688df744a124f1acfe48d85f65d28fd0067f525d3e19cfed0186e433
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960722193307.00b21088@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:51:53 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:51:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Special Agent Safdar

At 02:32 AM 7/22/96 -0600, Anonymous wrote:
>FBI Special Agent Safdar is upset enough by the revelation
>of his true identity to issue a quick denial (on a sunday night, to get
>more OT no doubt), but he doesn't even bother to try to refute the
>central truth that his cover has been blown by a careless operator at
>his home office who verified his employment and offered to take a message
>for him.

Denial?? Sarcasm perhaps...  No "denial" I could see.

As for your "evidence", it is pretty shaky.  Such as the part about not
having a drivers license.  Since when is government regulation of driving
proof of existence?

>We don't have to wonder a second longer about the motives behind
>Safdar\VTW\FBI's collection of names of crypto-dissidents, their
>support of the Leahy crypto control bill, their refusal to
>denounce it even today, their support of the digital telephone
>act, the disinformation to make us believe otherwise and all
>the other lies. And what about the money?

Why would they have to operate a dummy organization?  All they have to do is
get the names of the subscribers on this list.  Much more cost effective.

>We must call on the other organizations, like EPIC, EFF, CDT, and ACLU
>to denounce the VTW\FBI fraud. Their board of directories, Blaze and
>Schneier to face the truth in public that they they have been used.
>The net as a whole to demand its pound of cyberflesh.

And not to forget all the free code that Blaze and Schneier have handed out
over the years.  Maybe that is a plot as well.  Maybe the typos in Applied
Cryptography are a secret conspiracy to weaken the cryptography of the
nation.  Next thing I expect you to say is that Queen Elisabeth is a drug
dealer and/or other LaRouche style rants.

I judge the above individuals by their deeds, not just by their words.  They
have accomplished much in the areas of preserving privacy and cryptography.
What have you done lately?

>There are very big questions to be answered now and we must not
>forget to keep asking them until they have been. How high did
>this operation go? Agent Safdar is no Olly North! He didn't
>do this on his own. Who ordered this?

The voices in your head?  Actually, I have more interest in your motives
than his.

>This is exactly like the FBI in the 1960s and civil rights groups.
>In the hands of the right reporter, this could and should
>bring slick willie right on down.

Interesting that you should bring up the FBI actions against dissenting
groups... Actually, your screeds read like some of the stuff the FBI sent to
the Black Panthers in the 60s and 70s. The screeds were written in the same
manner, by an anonymous source, to discredit others in the organization.
Your texts seem designed to cause mistrust amongst those who are willing to
fight for their own freedom.  (Especially amongst those who are not involved
in the middle of the fray.)

Your accusations are not accomplishing anything constructive.  I do not
believe that they were designed to either.  I believe that they were
designed to sow mistrust in the individuals who are making real progress
against the Government held position that they have the right to spy on our
every move.

So far, you have not given any proof as to why we should believe you.  Given
the vitriolic nature of your screeds, I see no reason to do so.

---
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."

Thread