1996-07-31 - Re: Paranoid Musings

Header Data

From: daw@cs.berkeley.edu (David Wagner)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a1600251d55ab83c91be35fdfd143737be722f027b796b1956f54b29deb4285e
Message ID: <4tn2q1$mh5@joseph.cs.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <199607310502.WAA09812@netcom7.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-31 10:36:34 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 18:36:34 +0800

Raw message

From: daw@cs.berkeley.edu (David Wagner)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 18:36:34 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Paranoid Musings

In article <199607310502.WAA09812@netcom7.netcom.com>,
Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com> wrote:
> At  6:48 PM 7/30/96 -0400, Mark M. wrote:
> >An FPGA can break RC4 in a few hours.

I don't think so.  None of the FPGAs Ian & I looked at could even approach
the RC4-cracking performance of a fast Intel CPU.

>                                    If we assume that the 30 million net
> users send one email/day, then that results in about 350/second.  If I
> assume your "several thousand" is 2000, then we need a machine with 700,000
> FPGA's.  Given Matt Blaze et. al.'s estimate of $10/chip complete, that is
> $7 million.  However if you take the NSA's estimate (in their response to
> Blaze et al) of $1000/chip, then you get $700 million.

Those estimates assume that a single FPGA can break RC4 in hours.  I think
that is an extremely optimistic assumption, given the available public
information.  But perhaps NSA is orders of magnitude ahead of us in chip
design (unlikely) or orders of magnitude ahead of us in RC4 cryptanalysis
(and we're back to paranoid musings).

> If we assume a machine designed to break *every* message, NSA's response
> makes more sense.  From their response (reordered):
>
> >The factors not accounted for are:
> >
> >  o Memory costs are not included.
> It needs to store all the messages it is attacking.

Naw, this is orthogonal to the cost of cryptanalysis-- even when all messages
are sent in the clear, they still need this storage.

I would be willing to believe that message selection & storage is a very
expensive part of SIGINT.  However, if one has the resources to break all
encrypted messages in realtime, I don't see why message selection & storage
costs need to increase so significantly.

> >  o When get [sic] to the very fast processing speed estimates,
> >    machines can become Input/Output bound; so [sic] it cannot achieve
> >    the estimated speed.
> It needs to get all those messages into the machine, the plaintext out, and
> distribute the data to the FPGAs.

Nope, I don't buy it.  Show me a chip takes longer to load a known plaintext
and ciphertext pair than it takes to do a 40-bit exhaustive keysearch for that
pair, and I'll show you a chip that has no I/O pins. :-)

Remember, if you have a million FPGAs to crack a thousand messages, you don't
have to send the first message to all million FPGAs, then send the second
message to all million FPGAs, etc.  Instead you should send the first message
to the first thousand FPGAs, and concurrently send the second message to the
second thousand FPGAs, etc.

> >  o Assuming every algorithm can be tested in same amount of time and
> >    key length is the only difference.
> This is one of Blase et. al.'s simplifying assumptions.  RC4 has a simple
> key setup and runs faster than DES.  Brute forcing 40 bit Blowfish would be
> considerably harder.  Probably about equal to 9 additional key bits harder.

I agree that key schedule complexity can have a significant influence on the
complexity of exhaustive keysearch.

However, DES's key schedule is actually much better suited to exhaustive
keysearch than RC4's key schedule is.  (I speak with implementation experience.
However, it's not too hard to see why this should be true-- DES was designed
for implementation in hardware, and its keyschedule consists merely of some
bit permutations, which are free in hardware.  RC4 uses RAM heavily, and thus
can incur large I/O costs, and also is highly serialized, so it is not so
well-suited to efficient hardware implementation.)

Yup, brute-forcing 40-bit Blowfish will probably be even harder than RC4.

>                                With FPGAs, there is a significant risk that
> people will change the crypto system and make the investment worthless.

No, FPGAs are programmable logic, and thus can be easily reprogrammed if the
Netscape default encryption algorithm changes.  Perhaps you are thinking of
ASICs, which have their logic burned in, and cannot be changed.

Thread