1996-07-06 - Re: CWD – Jacking in from the “Keys to the Kingdom” Port

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: jonathon <grafolog@netcom.com>
Message Hash: a359e16aa918a4baa0d5c7618bef3ef56c3f21615999840721f960b1e8b48cd1
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960706175510.00f3a638@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 04:51:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 04:51:23 +0800
To: jonathon <grafolog@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: CWD -- Jacking in from the "Keys to the Kingdom" Port

At 06:27 AM 7/6/96 +0000, you wrote:
>On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, CyberEyes wrote:
>
>>  NOT talking about Lynx, what DOS-based Web browser is there?
>
>	Net-Tamer.
>
>	Requires a PPP connection, and precious little else.

The problem is getting PPP to work under DOS.  If your kid can do that, then
he will have no problem in disabling any sort of filtering, as well as
wiping the hard drive and installing Linux with X11R6.  DOS stacks are a
pain to get functioning, usually have little to no useful instructions, and
tend to be harder than hell to find.  (Or as Homer Simpson once said:
"Mmmmmm! Packet drivers!")

I expect to see a case where some kid gets in trouble for filtering out what
his parents can see, read, or hear.  Or sets the school filter to only allow
going to porno sites.

I find it humorous how many people think that they can use technology to
babysit their kids when the kids understand the technology much better than
they do in most cases...
---
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."

Thread