1996-07-27 - Re: Overwelmed with Stupidity…

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a3ccbcfeba662b0801ba69d795b21a9e3d9ada93f813829c8cb9d997d0ac64d4
Message ID: <199607271623.JAA07683@netcom18.netcom.com>
Reply To: <31F9C2BC.5458@teleport.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-27 18:26:56 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 02:26:56 +0800

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 02:26:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Overwelmed with Stupidity...

Shaun Clark <jacquard@teleport.com> writes:

 > Ok, ok... Let me say something, but I don't want anyone to
 > take this wrong. I'm not trying to be stupid, but I don't
 > have half the knowledge you all seem to posses.

That's ok.  Welcome to the list.

 > For instance what the heck is a TRS-80, DES, or even GAK? I
 > probabl;y know or have heard but, I'm not picking up on the
 > three letter words. So, if you could help meout maybe I just
 > might be able to start contributing activly to this mailer!

TRS stands for "Technical Report Series." These are put out
periodically by the computer science departments of major
universities.  TRS-80 is a monograph titled - "The Sternlight
Effect: The Application of Nonlinear Matched Filters to the
Reduction of Additive Gaussian Noise in Usenet Articles."

DES stands for "Diethylstilbestrol", a synthetic estrogen given
to women at high risk for miscarriage in the 1950's.  Its use was
discontinued when the daughters of those who took it were
discovered to have a high incidence of vaginal and cervical
adenocarcinomas.  Male offspring suffered no life-threatening
health problems from prenatal DES exposure, but were often
afflicted with TWS. (Teeny Weeny Syndrome)

And finally, GAK is the name for the green slime frequently seen
to cover people on Nickelodeon, the childrens' cable channel.  It
is prepared from a variety of non-toxic ingredients in the
Nickelodeon kitchens, and supposedly is safe to ingest, should
one feel motivated to do so.

Now that you know the secret Three Letter Abbreviations, you are
an official Cypherpunk.  Congratulations.

     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread