1996-07-18 - US govt claims to want to combat “computer terrorism”

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a9299e56f285bcfde2a711efd6d576b71536d31ca665adff72a89d96fb6724d2
Message ID: <01I7742PEB009ED9YD@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 19:38:35 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 19:38:35 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: US govt claims to want to combat "computer terrorism"

	Somehow, I suspect that their efforts will A: not include any non-GAKed
cryptography involvement, and probably minimal GAKed cryptography - less chance
of someone using superencryption in a hard-to-detect fashion. I also suspect
that they'll be cutting down on anonymnity, or at least trying to. Notice the
link to an almost completely unrelated incident, namely the Oklahoma City
bombing.
	-Allen

[... Jamie Gorelick, or whatever her name is (yes, the pro-GAKing one), said:]

>   &quot;What we need, then, is the equivalent of the 'Manhattan Project'
>   for infrastructure protection, a cooperative venture between the
>   government and private sector to put our best minds together to come
>   up with workable solutions to one of our most difficult
>   challenges,&quot; she told the Governmental Affairs permanent
>   subcommittee on investigations.

>   President Clinton set the stage for such a blitz Monday with an
>   executive order setting up a blue-ribbon panel that will recommend
>   measures to safeguard such lifelines as telecommunications, power
>   systems, water supply, and gas and oil storage and transportation. The
>   panel is to be chaired by a presidential appointee drawn from the
>   private sector and will include representatives from government and
>   industry.

[...]

>   The administration began to focus on the issue after the April 19,
>   1995, bombing that killed 168 people in an Oklahoma City federal
>   office building.

>   Copyright, Reuters Ltd. All rights reserved

Thread