1996-07-15 - Re: Can’t block caller ID in Massachusetts?

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: “Bruce M.” <bkmarsh@feist.com>
Message Hash: ab478b0e6ba7f8536a2f9a7fb75a72e48a6d956d88683ec80a10a72baf55333f
Message ID: <199607150749.AAA07568@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 22:06:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 22:06:13 +0800
To: "Bruce M." <bkmarsh@feist.com>
Subject: Re: Can't block caller ID in Massachusetts?

>> >     That is interesting as I don't recall ever being offered a choice of
>> > toll free or being billed when I dial an 800 number (sometimes the only
>> > number offered for a company).
>> I haven't noticed too many business telephones that don't appear in
>> Directory Assistance.
>That is assuming that you know which area they are located in.

There are businesses that _only_ list their 800 numbers, and you can't
find out the real phone number associated with them through directory
assistance.
It's especially annoying when they've got an in-state or other non-nation-wide
800 number, or when you're calling from outside the US, especially when
they're a business you'd like to be able to reach from anywhere, any time,
like the travel agent your office uses :-)  But it does make it hard to
call them directly for ANI-avoidance as well.  And they may _only_ have
the bank of phones that's got ANI service on it, and not have other phones.

#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# http://www.idiom.com/~wcs
#				Re-delegate Authority!