1996-07-24 - RE: [Noise] was Re: Giving 6 year old kids Uzi’s

Header Data

From: “Bill Olson (EDP)” <a-billol@microsoft.com>
To: “‘perry@piermont.com>
Message Hash: b4ecbf0c2621e84ba13dfc5738e52a121543208878c36dd1af84f33066fc3c1d
Message ID: <c=US%a=%p=msft%l=RED-16-MSG-960723195445Z-36326@abash1.microsoft.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-07-24 06:25:16 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 14:25:16 +0800

Raw message

From: "Bill Olson (EDP)" <a-billol@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 14:25:16 +0800
To: "'perry@piermont.com>
Subject: RE: [Noise] was Re: Giving 6 year old kids Uzi's

Perry E. Metzger writes:

>"Bill Olson (EDP)" writes:
>> I don't care if it takes my son 6 years to get through 2 grade levels,
>> anyone who allows there kid to pack a gun (or a rifle?) should get their
>> head examined
>
>Why? What, objectively, is wrong with allowing, say, a twelve year old
>to go plinking with a .22? Lets not hear vitriol -- lets just hear
>cold hard reasons not to allow it.
>
>Myself, I'd say that it appears that there is no good objective
>reason.
>
>Perry

I find nothing wrong with plinking. Hell, I'm from Montana--we used to
go shooting all the time. But when the shooting was done, the guns were
put away. What I find disturbing is that a child is taking it to school,
or just carrying it around. I say that any parent who thinks their child
is mature enough to carry a gun for non-recreational reasons is less
mature than the child. In fact, I'd go so far as to say they are a
danger to their own children.

I guess I don't really have to worry too much, though. It is illegal for
children to possess such items publicly, and any parent who condones it
is simply breaking the law. I don't blame the child, I blame the moronic
parent who let's it happen.

Thread