1996-07-30 - Privacy a thing of the past

Header Data

From: “George Kuzmowycz” <gkuzmo@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bc351811ea275797ebdaf6eff5fc35b647e1aa18d0d7ab957f6c96d091830db6
Message ID: <199607301527.IAA20885@dfw-ix11.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 02:49:38 +0800

Raw message

From: "George Kuzmowycz" <gkuzmo@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 02:49:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Privacy a thing of the past

  No, it's not my opinion. The subject line is the title of a keynote
session at the DCI Internet Expo in Boston on October 15-17. The talk
is being given by a fellow named Jim Sterne, who is listed as
president of something called "Target Marketing". I got the brochure
for the show in this morning's mail. You can get further info at
http://www.DCIexpo.com.

  The description of the talk begins with the intriguing line
"Computing power allows us to stop treating people like numbers and
specific likes, dislikes and points of view." But it ends with "Along
the way, privacy will become a quaint sentiment." So I guess we treat
people like human beings, but human beings whom we know everything
about.

  Although this is a paid conference, they give out free tickets to
the "expo". It's not clear whether the free ticket gets you into the
keynotes, but that has usually been the case in the past. If you're
in or near Boston on 10/17, you may want to share your views with Mr.
Sterne.

        -gk-

Thread