1996-07-21 - Re: A Snake-Oil FAQ

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To: WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com (Deranged Mutant)
Message Hash: bd909c103c0c97c6cbb9c7bc32c2d5381ba310267aa87fcb0838a295d500f162
Message ID: <199607212041.PAA20700@homeport.org>
Reply To: <199607202058.QAA19736@unix.asb.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-21 21:54:44 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 05:54:44 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 05:54:44 +0800
To: WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com (Deranged Mutant)
Subject: Re: A Snake-Oil FAQ

Good faqs have pointers to other good sources of information, even
when they're pretty near authoritative.  I'd point to Schneier,
Rivest, and Blaze as people whose endorsements carry real weight, and
point to the sci.crypt faq for more info.

Other than that, it looked like a good start.  I look forward to being
able to point people to it.

Adam

Deranged Mutant wrote:

| I've written a short "Snake Oil FAQ" below.  It's incomplete and
| needs some work (adding a few definitions, rewording, aesthetic
| formatting, etc.), so think of it as a 'beta' FAQ (please don't post
| it on web pages, though I don't mind if it's distributed among
| anyone interested in criticizing or contributing).   Comments and
| suggestions would be appreciated.   Note that the aim is to write
| something  accessible to 'newbies'.  (Jeremy Barrett contributed to
| this, BTW)

					               -Hume

Thread