1996-07-04 - Re: Info on alleged new German digital wiretapping law?

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: Ulf Moeller <um@c2.org>
Message Hash: bdbe4bcf30446e60f77bc64e3b45cd367d7e5179960feb2df21ab44d60eb61a8
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.94.960703162440.5088H-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <m0ubYpS-00009UC@ulf.mali.sub.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-04 02:28:35 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 10:28:35 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 10:28:35 +0800
To: Ulf Moeller <um@c2.org>
Subject: Re: Info on alleged new German digital wiretapping law?

On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Ulf Moeller wrote:

> > So what's the prospect for implementation? The claim is that law enforcement
> > is supposed to have a back door to every computer system. Are we talking
> > about escrow of root passwords, or what?
>
> No. There are two points:
>
> 1) The network operators have to create a wiretapping system to be
> approved by the Regulation Authority, and operate dedicated digital
> lines for law enforcement access.  As I understand it, Internet
> providers could be forced to duplicate IP packets to that line, when
> wiretapping has been ordered.

Sounds like US and Swedish law. What's the phase-in period?

> 2) They have to keep files of customer data (name, address, etc.) that
> the Regulation Authority can access secretly at any time.

Sounds like a market opportunity.

-rich

Thread