1996-07-02 - Re: Message pools are in use today!

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bebe402d2faf594f4a275d36ce68a37478216e472a812ca7670a504670fc5ccd
Message ID: <adfe19830002100425c1@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 18:45:50 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 18:45:50 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Message pools _are_ in use today!

I must be missing something....:

At 3:28 AM 7/2/96, David Wagner wrote:

>Someone sniffing the Berkeley 'net can tell when I receive an
>alt.anonymous.messages message by when I download an article from
>the NNTP server; they can tell when I send such an article by when
>I upload an article to the NNTP server; they can list all the
>``subversive'' Berkeley folks who have read alt.anonymous.messages
>lately.
>
>The local NNTP server must be trusted.

I'm not following your "upload an article to the NNTP server." Don't most
people use mail-to-News gateways to post anonymously? (If not, they should,
of course.)

This way, the posting of an article has the anonymity provided by the chain
of remailers used to reach the terminal site, the mail-to-News gateway.

The posting is anonymous (within the usual limits we discuss here), and the
reading is "pretty hard" to focus on, for several reasons:

1. Hard to gain access to local ISP without sending alerts out (it would be
for my ISP, at least). This is admittedly not cryptographically
interesting, but is a very real practical difficulty.

2. Many who browse alt.anonymous.messages probably "glance" at many of the
oddly-named message pool messages. I know I do. Again, makes it a "needle
in a haystack" to know which of several hundred folks who glanced at
"ToBear" or "TheRealMessage"--assuming the NSA could ever identify these
hundreds--is the real intended target.

3. And I recall that many have newsreaders which download _all_ messages in
a newsgroup automatically. Again, this makes the pool of potential readers
quite large and meaningless to try to track.

The use of public posting areas for message pools (what I called "Democracy
Walls" several years back) seems to me have several compelling advantages
over "reply-block" approaches.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!