1996-07-21 - Re: Netscape download requirements

Header Data

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Message Hash: c2ffaa85db3bf6b66da5cac9eae74bfbc19b299a2cd4532e29a0faf755527b5c
Message ID: <v03007609ae18054bd192@[192.187.162.15]>
Reply To: <v03007612ae16d2f7d9d6@[192.187.162.15]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-21 18:27:18 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 02:27:18 +0800

Raw message

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 02:27:18 +0800
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Subject: Re: Netscape download requirements

At 12:23 PM -0700 7/20/96, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Jul 1996, David Sternlight wrote:
>
>> Glad to explain it. I used "tell" in the sense of compel, not
>> in the sense of expressing one's opinion. "Joe told us what to
>> do" is different from "Joe expressed his opinion of what we
>> should do" in the sense I used it.
>
>Really?  But you wrote:
>
>>> nor do YOU get to tell them that they are poor benighted fools
>>> who should agree with YOUR views on civil liberties. To assert
>>> otherwise is fascism, authoritarianism, dictatorship, pick one.
>
>Oh, I see, "tell," "should" and "assert" REALLY mean compel.  And
>what, exactly, would I, the "teller" be compelling them to do?  I
>now understand how you are able to win so many debates.  I guess
>I'd just better give up and take THE PLEDGE, you're just too sly
>for me.

 My use of "assert" in the above paragraph is quite different. "Tell"
applies to the act I'm discussing. "assert" refers to your comment about
the act. As for your complaint about "should", it and tell are consistent
with my meaning which was, to be more precise:

Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition:

"tell...1. count, enumerate; 2. to relate in detail, narrate, give
utterance to;
3. to make known, divulge, reveal; 4. to report to, inform; 5. order,
direct; 6. to find out by observing, recognize.

I used meaning 5 in the comment you asked about.

As to your tone and subsequent remarks, this conversation is now closed.
You may have the last word. To be sure I don't inadvertently continue it
with you,...

Plonk!

David

Thread