1996-07-09 - Re: Technology- vs. Human-based Surveillance

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: c32727effff3d1cce96ca82cd378bce77a315ebd2029aac87f1faedf8e56ae0f
Message ID: <199607090024.UAA13729@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 12:07:06 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 12:07:06 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Technology- vs. Human-based Surveillance

On  8 Jul 96 at 9:20, Timothy C. May wrote:
[..]
> A human-based surveillance state is very expensive, even by the standards
> of modern America and its bloated government. The recent example of the
> DDR's "Staasi" provides an example. Hard to hide the extent of the
> surveillance when so many people are involved.

Very true, but many totalitarian countries don't try to hide it.

Q: are surveillance tools (sophisticated analysys and search engines,
miniature cameras and microphones and other electronics) under the
same countrols as crypto? de facto controls or on paper only?  It
would seem that 'emerging democracies' in the East Bloc can obtain
sophisticated Western tech to strengthen and hide surveillance
systems (perhaps in ways that even J.Edgard Hoover would have found
repulsive, if that was possible).  I wonder if anyone has any stats
about foreign countries or orgs purchasing such equipment.

Yet another arg for liberal crypto-export rules, perhaps.

Rob.

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread