1996-07-20 - Re: Filtering out Queers is OK

Header Data

From: Ernest Hua <hua@xenon.chromatic.com>
To: Troy Denkinger <troy_d@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: c6f65df34e4a9ac245977c290c04cc75fab4cd6d3393c03001c28926932c32eb
Message ID: <199607192209.PAA24069@server1.chromatic.com>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960719154550.0073d960@popd.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-20 11:54:13 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 19:54:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Ernest Hua <hua@xenon.chromatic.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 19:54:13 +0800
To: Troy Denkinger <troy_d@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Filtering out Queers is OK

> > I see nothing wrong in this. Anyone who disagrees is, of course, free to
> > set his filters differently, but not to insist that my filters be changed.
> > And the government is not free to pass any laws about what filter sites can
> > and can't do.
>
> that's a trade secret.  So, people will be allowing a corporate entity that
> exists for profit to set their filters for them.  This is a very scary thing
> and perhaps even more frightening than having the government do it.  I think

If I'm not mistaken, the point here is that you can always choose NOT
to go with filter XYZ, and instead, purchase services with filter ABC.
It is still not perfect, but then, that is the point.  We do not trust
any SINGLE entity.  However, if I have a choice of entities, then I am
willing to try one, and let them abuse me in the short term.  Simple
free market principle says that a filter will show up with me needs
sooner or later.

If the filter is the government, I have no direct choice.  I have very
very indirect choices, but I cannot just shut off the service if I don't
like it.

Ern

Thread