1996-07-06 - Re: CCC Crypto Lock

Header Data

From: Tim Philp <tphilp@bfree.on.ca>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ca1588348906476e527c0e365106999a5dbf53151afa1dbdf4031cfa92bf370c
Message ID: <19004146800633@bfree.on.ca>
Raw Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 06:17:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim Philp <tphilp@bfree.on.ca>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 06:17:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: CCC Crypto Lock

The fact that this patent was issued indicates to me that the patent office
does not understand computer technology. There is nothing new here that I
was not using for other purposes at least 20 years ago.
Unfortunately, once a patent is issued, it cost a great deal of money to break.

Tim Philp

At 04:10 AM 7/6/96 -0700, you wrote:
>MicroPatent, 4 July 96
>

>Systems and methods for protecting software from
>unlicensed copying and use (Assignee -- Convex Computer
>Corporation)
>

>Abstract: Disclosed systems and methods for protecting a
>software program from unauthorized use and copying
>through the removal at least one of a plurality of
>instructions comprising a software program, and
>encrypting the removed instruction utilizing an
>encryption algorithm to produce an encrypted instruction,
>the encryption algorithm responsive to a randomly
>generated key.
>
>Ex Claim Text: A processing system for protecting a
>software program from unauthorized use, said software
>program including one or more unencrypted instructions
>stored in memory associated with said software program,
>said processing system comprising: a processing unit
>operable to: remove at least one selected said
>unencrypted instruction from an executable area in said
>memory associated with executable portions of said
>program; encrypt said at least one selected unencrypted
>instruction removed from said software program utilizing
>an encryption algorithm to produce an encrypted
>instruction; store said encrypted instruction within a
>first non-executable data area in said memory associated
>with said software program; and insert at least one
>trappable instruction in place of said encrypted
>instruction within said executable area in memory
>allowing said software program to be linked with one or
>more other programs.
>
>Assignee: Convex Computer Corporation
>
>Patent Number: 5530752
>
>Issue Date: 1996 06 25
>
>Inventor(s): Rubin, Robert J.
>
>If you would like to purchase a copy of this patent,
>please call MicroPatent at 800-984-9800.
>
>Copyright 1996, MicroPatent

Thread